Sunday, July 30, 2017

Psalm 31

"Still I trust in You, O Love, 
I repeat, 'You are my Life.'
My life is in your hands; 
deliver me from the fears 
which separate me. 
Let your face shine on me; 
save me in your steadfast love. 
Let me know your forgiveness, 
O Love, 
for I call upon You; 
let my fears be cast out, 
let them be transformed. 
Let me speak in truth, Beloved, 
that I might live with integrity, 
offering songs of praise to You." 

Psalm 31, Psalms for Praying, 
Nan C. Merrill    
   
The psalms are about finding the courage and resolution to press forward in faith, even when faith needs some shoring up.  If you are feeling beleaguered and surrounded by fears and concerns, pray Psalm 31.   My prayer this morning is that when you reach the end of the psalm, you will hear - and experience - these words: "So, be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you, who would know Love."  
  
Most of St. Benedict's monks were probably illiterate. When I think of their chanting the entire Psalter week after week, I am humbled.  That means a continual dipping down into the deep emotions, and coming up with offerings of praise and absolute trust.  Learning to standing fast, day and night.  Sister Joan Chittister writes, "Here is a prayer life that is serious, not superficial; concentrated not comfortable; full of witness, full of faith."    
  
Let us take heart and journey on in love. 
    
   

No comments:

Post a Comment