Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Psalm 17

The psalmist may be able to declare his heart pure (17:3), but I am not there yet. However, there are the vulnerable among us who very much are, and they are suffering.  For them, and for us, I lift this psalm. The sword God hands us is a caring one. May we learn to use it.     
 
"Guard me as the apple of the eye; 
hide me in the shadow of your wings, 
from the wicked who despoil me, 
my deadly enemies who surround me... 
 
Rise up, O LORD, confront them, overthrow them!
By your sword deliver my life from the wicked, 
from mortals - by your hand, O LORD - 
from mortals whose portion in life is in this world. 
May their bellies be filled with what 
you have stored up for them; 
may their children have more than enough; 
may they leave something over to their little ones. 
 
As for me, I shall behold your face in righteousness, 
when I awake I shall be satisfied, beholding your likeness."  
 
Psalm 17:8-9, 13-15 NRSV   

  

2 comments:

  1. I love your daily postings for my morning meditations

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear that, Darlene. I am grateful to have begun this surprising, but deepening practice.

    ReplyDelete