Monday, July 24, 2017

Psalm 27, Part 1

If you struggle with the enemy language (and goodness knows none of us should be blase about evil) try thinking of the social ills that all humanity experiences: violence, addiction, hunger, displacement, enslavement, and corporate greed.  Cynthia Bourgeault contends that when we embrace the more difficult psalms, we are releasing our shadow side. When that happens, we become more courageous, free, and whole. No, not free to do anything we want. Free to share our love and care with all.   
  
I will be exploring Psalm 27 over two days.  This morning I found a poem by Kabir (1440-1518) that I also want to share. In it, I find guidance for the psalms, and a reminder that we are seeking less of ourselves and more of God. 

   
I Had to Seek the Physician  

I had to seek the Physician 
because of the pain this world 
caused me. 
I could not believe what happened when I got there -
I found my Teacher. 
Before I left, he said, 
"Up for a little homework, yet?" 
Okay, I replied. 
  
"Well, then, try thanking all the people 
who have caused you pain. 
They helped you come to me." 
  
     
  
"The LORD is my light and my salvation; 
whom shall I fear? 
The LORD is the stronghold of my life, 
whom shall I dread? 
When those who do evil draw near 
to devour my flesh, 
it is they, my enemies and foes, 
who stumble and fall.  
Though an army encamp against me, 
my heart would not fear. 
Though war break out against me, 
even then would I trust. 
There is one thing I ask of the LORD, 
only this do I seek; 
to live in the house of the LORD 
all the days of my life, 
to gaze on the beauty of the LORD, 
to inquire at his temple.  
For there I am safely sheltered 
in the day of evil:
God hides me under cover of a tent;  
setting me high upon a rock." 
Psalm 27:1-5, The Ecumenical Grail Psalter 
   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment