Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Psalm 28 and a Mary Oliver Poem

I do not have a picture of a redbird, but I think this dahlia can do.  My thanks to Joe Riley for sending the Mary Oliver poem today.  Earlier this week I talked with a man who felt so adrift. My heart ached. When dementia takes root, anxiety can be so difficult to address. If you can celebrate anything at all today, do so. Let your song fly for those who simply cannot find the strength to believe in love.  Your boldness will help us all.   
 
Brace yourself. It is dahlia season, and the dahlia is San Leandro's official city flower. You will see more. 
  
"The LORD is my strength and my shield;
in God my heart trusts. 
I was helped; my heart rejoices, 
and I praise God with my song.  
 
The LORD is the strength of the people, 
a saving refuge for God's anointed. 
Save your people and bless your heritage. 
Shepherd them and carry them forever." 
  
Psalm 28:7-9  
The Ecumenical Grail Psalter 

    
Red Bird Explains Himself
 
“Yes, I was the brilliance floating over the snow
and I was the song in the summer leaves, but this was
only the first trick
I had hold of among my other mythologies,
for I also knew obedience: bring sticks to the nest,
food to the young, kisses to my bride.
 

But don’t stop there, stay with me: listen.
 
If I was the song that entered your heart
then I was the music of your heart, that you wanted and needed,
and thus wilderness bloomed that, with all its
followers: gardeners, lovers, people who weep
for the death of rivers.
 
And this was my true task, to be the
music of the body.  Do you understand? for truly the body needs
a song, a spirit, a soul.  And no less, to make this work,
the soul has need of a body,
and I am both of the earth and I am of the inexplicable
beauty of heaven
where I fly so easily, so welcome, yes,
and this is why I have been sent, to teach this to your heart.”
 
~ Mary Oliver ~
 
(Red Bird)


No comments:

Post a Comment