Thursday, July 6, 2017

Psalm 13

"How long will this pain go on, Lord, 
this grief I can hardly bear?
How long will anguish grip me
and agony wring my mind?
Light up my eyes with your presence; 
let me feel your love in my bones. 
Keep me from losing myself
in ignorance and despair. 
Teach me to be patient, Lord; 
teach me to be endlessly patient. 
Let me trust that your love enfolds me 
when my heart feels desolate and dry. 
I will sing to the Lord at all times, 
even from the depths of pain.
 
Psalm 13
A Book of Psalms, Stephen Mitchell 
  
"If we come to the Psalms looking for a way to develop our inner life, we have come to the wrong place. Kahil Gibran is a better bet. If we come to the Psalms in search of peak experiences, we have made a wrong choice. The psalmists are not interested in human potential; they are passionate about God - the obedience shaping, will-transforming, sin-revoking, praise-releasing God." 

Answering God, Eugene Peterson   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment