Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Psalm 23

This translation of Psalm 23 really lends itself to chanting and if you have never chanted, you may want to try a simple monotone chant. In my ministry we recite this great psalm of life often.  Even in homes dedicated to the care of those with dementia, the familiar words often come readily to the residents, so I almost never introduce a new translation. My call is not to create more confusion, so The Common English Bible, which has traveled with me for almost ten years, is about as far afield as I feel I can venture. Yet, I am grateful when I can explore new translations of the psalms. Often just a change of a word or two can enliven and inspire us as we continue the journey of trying to listen and respond to the Christ among us.   
  
My gratitude to all of you who have taken a moment to let me know that you using these postings in your daily devotionals. I so much appreciate your presence as we walk and pray these paths together.   
   
"The LORD is my shepherd:
there is nothing that I shall want. 
Fresh and green are the pastures 
where you give me repose.
Near restful waters you lead me;
to revive my soul. 
You guide me along the right path, 
for the sake of your good name. 
Though I should walk in the valley
of the shadow of death, 
no evil would I fear, for you are with me,
Your crook and your staff will give me comfort. 
You have prepared a table before me
in the sight of my foes. 
My head you have anointed with oil;
my cup is overflowing. 
Surely goodness and kindness shall follow me
all the days of my life. 
In the LORD's own house shall I dwell
for length of days unending."    
Psalm 23, The Ecumenical Grail Psalter    
If you want to learn more about chanting the psalms, I recommend a book that a  friend recently recommended to me, Chanting the Psalms by Cynthia Bourgeault. 


No comments:

Post a Comment