Thursday, July 20, 2017

Psalm 24

Psalm 24 is a hymn of entrance. The psalmist begins by singing, "The earth is the LORD's and all that is in it, the world and those who live in it; for God has founded in on the seas, and established it on the rivers."  Then we are reminded that only those with clean hands and pure hearts can enter the temple to be with those who seek the face of the God of Jacob. This week, I have been pondering the story of Jacob: his flight from his brother's anger and a night of sleeping "rough."  Yet, it was there, with only a stone pillow for his head, where he had a dream and received a promise from God. God does not turn away from the rocky parts of our lives, but simply asks that we trust.   
Then, the psalm changes tone, and between verse 6 and 7 we have that mysterious mark, "Selah."  I remember very clearly sitting in my room during Inquirer's weekend at San Francisco Theological Seminary and finding it impossible to believe that I belonged in seminary. In fact, I felt I should leave that very moment. Yet, the staff had wisely placed Bibles in all our rooms. I came across verse 7, and I knew I had my answer, intimidating though it was.  It was time to lift the old, creaky doors to my heart, and let God in. I knew in that moment there was work to be done, and that I had an ally to see me through the difficulties, even though I was (and am) far from pure.  Doubts and rocky places continue, but fortunately, the God of Jacob and all of us all is quite patient.    
"Lift up your heads, O gates, 
and be lifted up, O ancient doors! 
that the King of glory may come in. 
Who is the King of glory?
The LORD, mighty in battle. 
Lift up your heads, O gates! 
and be lifted up, O ancient doors! 
that the King of glory may come in."   
Psalm 24:7-10, NRSV   


No comments:

Post a Comment