Saturday, July 29, 2017

Psalm 30

Psalm 30 is very personal for me. I have come to understand that I am subject to bouts of depression.  My temptation is to push this aside and keep going. Of course, strong arming is effective for just so long. However, once I recognized it and called it by name, I could make the lifestyle changes to help me understand that it had something to teach me.  I needed to spend more time with exercise, gardening, art, care with what I eat and drink, and friends. Leading worshiping in long term care communities where there is little pretense has long been a balm for me, and meditation in a group also helps make me feel whole with others just as I am.  For all of this, I am deeply grateful.     
I think most of us have known something of "the pit" of which the psalmist sings, and we learn there is little "profit" when we stay there too long. Yet, sometimes we must stay. Hopefully in this landing, we can garner some wisdom as we explore that dark territory. Fortunately, God calls us ever on, returning us to dance in the light, even when the physical body completely dissolves. Death is not our enemy, but certainly denial and fear deserve a wary eye.   
   
"I will extol you, LORD, for you have raised me up,
and have not let my enemies rejoice over me.
  
O LORD my God, I cried to you for help, 
and you have healed me. 
O LORD, you have lifted up my soul from Sheol, 
restored me to life from those who sink 
into the pit. 
  
Sing psalms to the LORD, you faithful ones, 
give thanks to God's holy name. 
Divine anger lasts a moment, but favor 
all through life. 
At night come tears, but dawn brings joy. 
I said to myself in my good fortune: 
'I shall never be shaken,'
O LORD, your favor had set me 
like a mountain stronghold. 
Then you hid your face, 
and I was put to confusion. 
To you, O LORD, I cried, 
to my LORD I appealed for mercy: 
'What profit is my lifeblood, 
my going to the grave? 
Can dust give you thanks, 
or proclaim your faithfulness?'
  
Hear O LORD, and have mercy on me: 
be my helper, O LORD. 
You have changed my mourning into dancing, 
removed my sackcloth and girded me with joy. 
So let my soul sing psalms to you 
and not be silent. 
O LORD my God, I will thank you forever."  
Psalm 30
The Ecumenical Grail Psalter   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment