Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Psalm 27: 6-14

Because of God's love, the beleaguered and dismayed psalmist garners enough strength to simply lift his head. This is a reoccurring theme, not only in the psalms but in our very own lives. I certainly witness this in skilled nursing.  This simple movement often takes more conviction than most of us can understand. Until, of course, we, too, know loss, sorrow, and illness.

Yet, the psalm leads up to a beautiful resolution. God's goodness will be known right here in the land of the living. Our heads are lifted. We await further instruction, but for now, let us sing. 
"And now my head shall be raised 
above my foes who surround me, 
and I shall offer within God's tent
sacrifices full of exultation. 
I will sing and make music for the LORD. 
O LORD, hear my voice when I call; 
have mercy and answer me. 
Of you my heart has spoken, 
'Seek the face of God.'
It is your face, O LORD, that I seek; 
hide not your face from me. 
Dismiss not your servant in anger; 
you have been my help. 
Do not abandon or forsake me, 
O God, my Savior! 
Though father and mother forsake me,
the LORD will receive me.    
Instruct me, LORD, in your way: 
on an even path lead me 
because of my enemies. 
Do not leave me to the will of my foes, 
for false witnesses rise up against me, 
and they breathe out violence. 
  
I believe I shall see the goodness of the LORD 
in the land of the living. 
Wait for the LORD; be strong: 
be stouthearted, and wait for the LORD!"    
   
New Ecumenical Psalter 
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment