Monday, July 17, 2017

Psalm 22

Psalm 22 begins in anguish, suffering, and fear. It is the psalm of Jesus on the cross and all who find themselves there. It is the psalm of one who knows firsthand just how terrible deep suffering is, that it can rip us apart and devour us. 
  
Yet, despite the desperation, like most psalms, it is ultimately a psalm of hope.  That one day the poor will eat and be satisfied. The psalmist gathers his courage and speaks that he will live to again praise God in the sanctuary, and this praise will be carried to the end of the earth by "all hearts."  It is as if the psalm is one deep stabilizing breath. Fear and panic are breathed in, and the conviction, "I shall live for God," is breathed out. 
While I will not include the entire psalm here, reading Psalm 22 is a journey worth taking. Strengthened by this spiritual exercise, we can face what we need to face. We come to believe that the green pastures and restful waters of Psalm 23 are just around the corner, and that no matter what, God will lead us there.   
"My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? 
Why are you so far from helping me, 
from the words of my groaning?
O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer;
and by night, but find no rest. 
But I am a worm, and not human; 
scorned by others, and despised by the people. 
All who see me mock me; 
they make mouths at me, they shake their heads. 
O God, do not be far away! 
O my help, come quickly to my aid!
Deliver my soul from the sword, 
and my life from the power of the dog! 
Save me from the mouth of the lion! 
From the horns of the wild oxen 
you have rescued me. 
I will tell of your name  
to my brothers and sisters; 
in the midst of the congregation 
I will praise you; 
From you comes my praise  
in the great congregation; 
my vows I will pay before those 
who fear God. 
The poor shall eat and be satisfied, 
those who seek God shall praise God.
May your hearts live forever."
    
Psalm 22 (adapted), New Century Psalter 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment