Saturday, November 28, 2015

Psalm 139 Continued

Psalms for Praying
Nan C. Merrill
  
For You formed my inward being,
You knit me together in my
mother's womb.
I praise You, for You are to be
reverenced and adored.
Your mysteries fill me with wonder.
More than I know myself do You know me;
my essence was not hidden from You.
When I was being formed in secret,
intricately fashioned from
the elements of the earth,
Your eyes beheld my unformed substance;
in your records were written
every one of them.
The days that were numbered for me,
when as yet there were none of them.
How precious to me are your creations,
O Blessed One!
How vast the sum of them!
Who could count your innumerable
gifts and blessings?
At all times, You are with me.   
  
 
Yesterday, Tyler, Jack and I took a hike in the Las Trampas Regional Wilderness in the east bay.  For days I had been looking forward to taking a hike on the day after Thanksgiving, and I was not pleased that my old friend sciatica returned on Thursday and was still troubling me.  Nonetheless, we did make it to the top of the ridge where we were greeted by a chilly wind, one of those winds that feels ancient; as if it has been on the move forever. As we looked across the east bay hills, there seemed to be only the three of us and the wind.  We could see civilization below us, but in that moment we were separate from it.  This morning I think some of our spirit was gathered up in that wind and a tiny particle of us will now move across hills, mountains, valleys, and oceans forever.  How strange and wonderful creation is. How very much we need our open spaces where we can remember that truly our fate is on the wind.  Such knowledge does not diminish us, but expands us into eternity.        
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment