Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Psalm 130

Psalms for Praying
Nan C. Merrill   
  
Out of the depths I cry to You.
In  your Mercy, hear my voice.
Let your ears be attentive to
the voice of my supplications.    
  

When people ask me what SpiritCare does, I will usually say something like, "We take worship, pastoral care, and other forms of outreach to elders and others who are living in a variety of long-term communities."    That is in the first breath anyway.   
 
Yet, worship is really not something that can be packed up in a bag or box.  It is true; I do carry a Bible, maybe another book or two, a communion set, some wafers, (for me, about 2,000 a year, but fortunately, I do not have to carry them all at once!), and some song sheets.  When pianists join me, they will bring some music, sometimes in their arms, sometimes only in their heads.  However, worship does not need any of this.  Worship simply needs hearts willing to be lifted. Worship needs people willing to reach out to God, to Jesus, to one another.  Perhaps most of all, worship needs people willing to listen. No, not to me.  To God and one another.   
 
Perhaps rather than say, "Let us pray," we should say, "Let us listen."   And then try to do just that.  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment