Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Psalm 138

Psalms for Praying
Nan C. Merrill
  
You do not forsake those
who call upon you.
   
Yesterday, the commute was lighter than anticipated, so I drove down Dixon Landing Road on my way to Mountain View. There is still some open land along that route, and I so appreciate being able to stretch my vision.  As I drove, out of the corner of my eye I spotted a big blue heron standing in the field.  I was actually able to do a U-turn, park, and get out of my car.  I walked into the field to get a little closer to that majestic solitary bird. With his large wings folded and his steady gaze, he looked to be an ancient robed chief or prophet.  I could not get close enough to photograph it with my iPhone, so I had to be content to simply fall in love.     

Thanksgiving often finds us in Arizona visiting friends, but not this year.  Yesterday as I finished up ministry obligations, shopped, and planned, I found my very skin yearning for the openness of the country around Prescott  where the attached picture was taken. Yet, our autumn here has been surprisingly beautiful, and we have neighbors who will be joining us for dinner tomorrow.  On Friday, Tyler and I plan on taking a hike and celebrating our 28th anniversary.  I do not take any of this for granted.    
 
Holy God, thank you for this life filled with friends, surprising prophets, and a moment of time in the midst of it all.  
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment