Thursday, November 19, 2015

Psalm 131

Psalms for Praying
Nan C. Merrill

Most Gracious Presence,
let me not be arrogant,
nor boast of my virtuous deeds;
Let me not seek fame or set my heart
on the riches of the world.
Help me to calm and quiet my soul,
like a child quieted at its
mother's breast;
like a child that is quieted,
be so my soul.    
 
I shall hope in You, O Breath
of my breath,
from this time forth 
and forevermore.
Amen. 
 
   
Last night I woke thinking of a paint by number set that I received as a child.  On the box was a picture of a beautiful horse.  I was struggling with drawing and painting, so I was thrilled to think that all I had to do was follow the instructions, and my painting would look just like the picture of that bold creature that was now on the kitchen table.  

 I quickly undertook the project.  Alas, this endeavor proved to be the difficult one of learning that art is more than just carefully following someone's else's instructions.  My biggest disappointment was how flat and limited the colors were.  Something was missing.  It took me a long time to figure out that what could not be found in those tiny plastic cups of paint and carefully drawn lines and numbers was my own passion; my own heart.  There are no easy instructions to that destination.  
 
This is the point that I was trying to make about worship in my reflection on Psalm 130.  The individual elements that we can pack and take to worship are useful and even wonderful, as are the people who help bring those gifts forth.  Yet, without the willingness to surrender these gifts and talents to God and to invite God in, and even dare to give God room to speak, the worship will be as flat as my paint by number experiment.  I believe this to be true whether we find ourselves in a formal traditional service, a large praise gathering, or a simple prayer service lit by one candle.  May we always remember to invite God to be among us, wherever we might be.
    
 
May He be blessed by all, for I have seen clearly that He does not fail to repay, even in this life, every good desire. 
 
St. Teresa of Avila  
 
 
 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment