Sunday, November 22, 2015

Psalm 134

Psalms for Praying
Nan C. Merrill
  
Come, bask in the Light of Love,
all you who would serve
the Divine Plan.
Lift up your hands to the Holy One,
singing songs of praise.
Bow down and receive blessing
from the Giver of Life.
All praise to You,
whose Love created 
heaven and earth.   

 
  
Yesterday I was  blessed to officiate at a memorial service for an elder I met during his time in a very nice retirement home.  I liked Bill very much, and I loved hearing the reflections of his family and friends. Their appreciation of him was evident, and I think he lived a life centered in love, faith, and work he enjoyed.  He was ill at the end of his life, but did not linger long. As people shared their memories, I think we were all strengthened for the journey.  After the service, one gentleman said to me, "Today, I find myself less afraid of old age. I am Jewish, but not a practicing one.  Maybe it is time to reconnect with God."   
 
Well done, Bill.   
 
As we planned the service, his daughter asked me to read the beautifully reassuring John 14:1-4 from the King James version.  I have always appreciated the word mansions in this translation.   Glorious room for us all.     
 
Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in me.  In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to myself; that where I am, there you may be also.  And where I go you know, and the way you know. 
 
Blessings on the journey.  Let us take heart, for the way is being prepared right now. We do not travel alone. 
 
Bill, I am grateful to have known you.  Thank you for your presence in this world and the next.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment