Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Psalm 119

Psalms for Praying
Nan C. Merrill
  
May tolerance make its home in me,
that I recognize You in every heart.
May I be imbued with goodness, and
make room for kindness in all situations.
For your ways are far richer
that thousands of gold 
and silver pieces. 

    
  
Psalm 119 is a long psalm that sings the praises of God's Word, the Torah.  Its 176 verses are divided into 22 stanzas of eight lines each.  Each stanza begins with a consecutive letter of the Hebrew alphabet.  I have been thinking about this psalmist and the dedication that went into creating this psalm.  I also have been reflecting on the early monastics walking and praying the psalms from memory.  I am gently reminded how impatient I can be, so it is little wonder that this short passage from Merrill's rendition surfaced for me. 
 
Last night a large letter H appeared in a dream.  It was made of beautiful wrought iron, and the horizontal bar was actually two arms with the hands reaching out and holding on to the other, like a strong, permanent handshake.   I woke in gratitude for the gift of friendships whose love keeps me centered, and God's steadfast love that holds us all.  
 
Holy Presence, I thank you. 
 
   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment