Friday, July 24, 2015

Psalm 40

Psalms for Praying 
Nan C. Merrill 
  
Sacrifice and offering are not 
your desire for us; 
for you have opened our 
heart's ear. 
Burnt offerings are not required. 
Let us cry out: "Yes, I come; 
in the book it is written of me; 
I delight to abandon myself  
into your hands, 
O My Beloved; 
For you are the Heart of my heart."  
   
  
It is written that after his baptism Jesus spent 40 days in the wilderness.  Noah and his charges spent 40 days on the waters.  On the 40th day of this journey I am reminded that we do not have to burn ourselves up for God, but rather be willing to extend love into this world.         
 
I recognize that this picture is quite subtle, perhaps too much for some.  Yet, I find the delicate reaching up that is happening at the bottom of the photograph very beautiful.  It speaks to me about how subtle joy often is.  Yet, even when it is soft and muted, it is substantial enough to carry us.  Even through a time of drought.   
 
I celebrate this 40th day.     


  


No comments:

Post a Comment