Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Psalm 30

Psalms for Praying 
Nan C. Merrill   


And You turned my mourning into dancing: 
You set me free and 
clothed me with gladness. 
Now my soul may praise You and not be silent.
O my Beloved, I will be grateful to You 
forever and ever.  
Amen     
   
Merrill's use of "Amen" surprised me.  In traditional translations of the psalms, I do not think this word ever appears. However, as I peruse her work, I realize she uses it more than once.   It is a beautiful word of surrender ("may it be so" is the most common translation) that tends to be overused in our informal society.   I liken it to the prayer, "Thy will be done."  These words can have profound implications in our lives.   
 
May your soul sing today with words and non-words of deep meaning and connection.  Amen.            

 

No comments:

Post a Comment