Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Psalm 24

Psalms for Praying 
Nan C. Merrill      
      
 
Lift up your heads, O gates! 
and be lifted up, O ancient doors! 
that the Compassionate One 
may come in. 
Who is this Compassionate One? 
the Beloved, Heart of your heart, 
Life of your life, 
this is the Compassionate One!   
   
 
I "happened" to come across this psalm when I was in discernment about seminary. It spoke loudly to me then, as it does today.   Yes, the psalmist also sings of cleanliness and purity, and I continually fall short in those categories, but nonetheless, I still hear the encouragement to open the creaking doors and rusty gates of my heart and welcome the Life of my life.        
 
Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If any hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with them and they with me (Revelations 3:20).  
     
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment