Saturday, August 26, 2017

Psalm 51

"Create a pure heart for me, O God; 
renew a steadfast spirit within me. 
Do not cast me away from your presence:
take not your holy spirit from me. 
 
Restore in me the joy of your salvation: 
maintain in me a willing spirit. 
I will teach transgressors your ways, 
that sinners may return to you.    
  
For in sacrifice you take no delight; 
burnt offerings from me would not please you. 
My sacrifice to God, a broken spirit; 
a broken and humbled heart, 
you will not spurn, O God."

Psalm 51:12-19  
Ecumenical Grail Psalter   
   
Abba Poeman is one of the more well known desert fathers. Brother Victor tells us that August 27 marks the commemoration of Poeman the Shepherd, and in his entry he includes several of Abba Poeman's wisdom sayings. The one I am including here I edited for inclusive language.  
 
Abba Poeman said, "If someone has sinned and denies it, saying 'I have not sinned,' do not reprimand; for that will discourage. Instead say, 'Do not lose heart, but in the future be on guard.' Thus, you will stir the soul to repentance."  
 
Wisdom voices are difficult to hear these days, but the same was true in the time of the desert abbas and ammas, and certainly in the time of Benedict when the Roman empire was crumbling. Thus, they retreated so they could hear God's voice more clearly. Let us all take time to sit with God. We must refuse to be molded by language spoken to belittle, discourage, condemn, confuse, distract, and cover up. That is not the path of Christ and should not be the voice of any nation.   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment