Friday, August 11, 2017

Psalm 40

"I trusted you, Lord, and waited, 
and you came to answer my plea. 
You lifted me from the pit, 
you pulled me out of the mire, 
you set my feet on firm ground, 
you made my steps unshakable.
You put a new song in my mouth
and gave me the power to praise you. 
You opened me to the truth; 
suddenly my eyes could see it. 
And I knew that you don't care about rituals
or the mummeries of religion. 
The only thing that you want 
is our whole being, at every moment. 
Hold me in your embrace, Lord; 
make me transparent in your light. 
Grant me awareness; keep 
my gratitude fresh each day. 
Let my song give blessing and insight
to those who can't see for themselves. 
And let your compassion always 
shine forth from the depths of my heart." 
  
Psalm 40 
A Book of Psalms,
Stephen Mitchell  
   
Read this psalm out loud if possible.  Mitchell's translations are elegant and heartfelt. 



No comments:

Post a Comment