Sunday, August 6, 2017

Psalm 35

Psalm 35 is a long song of one struggling with betrayal, much longer than what I include today.  Nan C. Merrill takes this psalm in an interesting direction; she asks God, the Beloved, to pray for her.  Let us pray for all of those who are struggling with betrayal and its aftermath, either on a personal or national level.  None of us are immune, but when we pray, we can find solace in knowing God is praying with us, and that sooner or later, the truth will be made known.  
    
"Pray on my behalf, O Beloved, for those
who fight against me; 
Forgive on my behalf those who abuse me. 
Pour forth your strength into my heart 
that I might stand strong. 
Encircle with healing love 
those who persecute me through fear. 
And say to my soul, 
'I am with you always.'
  
Let their ignorance become as chaff 
before the wind, 
send angels to lead them home to You. 
Let their path become filled with light 
that they may see the way of truth."     
   
 Psalm 35, Psalms for Praying 
Nan C. Merrill     
   
In her book, A Life Giving Way, Esther de Waal quotes Henri Nouwen: "Many time I have thought if I am ever sent to prison, if I am ever subjected to hunger, pain, torture, or humiliation, I hope and pray that they let me keep the psalms. The psalms will keep my spirit alive..."     
  

No comments:

Post a Comment