Saturday, August 5, 2017

Psalm 34

Psalm 34 is one of my favorite psalms, but I never gave thought much about the heading:  "Of David, when he feigned madness before Abimelech, so that he drove him out, and he went away."  I believe I need to take another look at the texts of Samuel, but in 1 Samuel, 21:10-15, it is Achish, not Abimelech, who drives the clever David out of the city.  In The Ecumenical Grail Psalter, this heading is verse 1, so there is a slight numbering discrepancy.     
   
"I will bless the LORD at all times, 
praise is always in my mouth. 
In the LORD my soul shall make its boast: 
the humble shall hear and be glad.   
 
Glorify the LORD with me; 
together let us praise God's name. 
I sought the LORD who answered me,
and set me free from all my terrors.  
 
Look toward the LORD and be radiant: 
let your faces not be abashed. 
When the lowly call out, the LORD hears, 
and rescues them from all their distress.  
  
The angel of the LORD is encamped 
around those who are reverent, 
to rescue them. 
Taste and see that the LORD is good. 
Blessed are they who seek refuge in him.  
 
Psalm 34:2-9 
The New Ecumenical Grail Psalter 
   
In Chanting the Psalms, the author, Cynthia Bourgeault, mentions a book entitled, Ancient Songs Sung Anew by Lynn Bauman. Through an internet search, I was able to send an email to the author to see if this book was still available. He wrote back saying he still had copies in two formats. One is a smaller, more portable edition, in new condition.  He then added he has more standard sized copies that while new, some pages are discolored because they went through a tornado.  I replied that I definitely wanted a tornado survivor.  He responded, "Yes, those have lots of perseverance in them."   
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment