Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Psalm 38

Psalm 38 is the mournful song of a penitent, one who is "utterly spent and crushed," and who is groaning with anguish.  To simply say, "I am sorry," is not enough for this psalmist.  His iniquities are too much. He can no longer bear them alone. He is ready for change.     
 
Yet, the psalmist knows that all his longing is known to God, and that his sighing is not hidden. Whatever we have done, or not done, said, or not said, God is there. We can be forgiven; we can be restored. I love that the psalmist, even in his anguish, claims God as his own.    
  
"But it is for you, O God, that I wait; 
it is you, O God my God, who will answer.
For I am ready to fall, 
and my pain is with me. 
I confess my iniquity; 
I am sorry for my sin. 
Do not forsake me, O God; 
O my God, do not be far from me; 
make haste to help me, 
O God, my salvation."  
 
Psalm 38, abridged
New Century Psalter    
 
Imagine the leaders of the U.S. and North Korea saying to one another, "I am sorry, I think we misunderstand one another. I do not want to hurt your people, and I know you do not want to hurt mine. I ask forgiveness for my harsh words. Let us work through this together."    
 
Let us all celebrate and nurture good relations today. Yes, that may mean we need to humbly ask for forgiveness.  This is how we can begin again.  
   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment