Monday, August 7, 2017

Psalm 36

We concluded yesterday's service with a really fun hymn to sing, "Precious Name." As we sang the lines,  "hope of earth and joy of heaven," I looked to my right and saw Sister B., dressed in pink, walking her walker down the hall.  I gave her a wave, and she waved back. Her walk then became a joyful dance, one that King David would have surely joined. At the end of the hymn she came in and we hugged. A moment of pure happiness.  After the service, several of the people were not ready to leave, so thanks to the generosity of the pianist, we sang a few more hymns from memory. 

I have known Sister B. (no, not her real name) for years. She still attends her own church, and has never joined me for worship. Nonetheless, she often tells me how happy she is that we continue to come to this community, and I tell her I am happy that she lives there. I am reminded of a resident in skilled nursing who, when recently asked if she wanted to receive communion, responded with, "No, but I feel better knowing you do."   
 
"How precious is your steadfast love, O God!
All people may take refuge in the 
shadow of your wings. 
 
They feast on the abundance of your house, 
and you give them drink from the river 
of your delights. 
For with you is the fountain of life; 
in your light we see light."  
 
Psalm 36:7-9 
New Century Psalter 
   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment