Thursday, August 10, 2017

Psalm 39



In the summer of 2012 Betty Bracha Stone began what she describes as a "serious Jewish practice: strenuous introspection and prayer during the month of Elul." This practice prepares one for the High Holy Days - Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kipur which I believe begins this year on August 21.  She and a group of other Jewish women committed themselves to supporting one another in this practice that included the tradition of reciting Psalm 27 twice daily. Her struggle with some of the language of the psalm would eventually lead her to writing her own translations and interpretations of Psalm 27 and thirty five other psalms. Her book, Let us Praise, is the result. I have come to believe that struggling with the psalms is a holy endeavor, even if one cannot read Biblical Hebrew. I have always felt a lacking, or an emptiness, for not being able to do so, but I continue the work of learning to trust that God can always make use of inadequacies and empty spaces.   
When I undertook the practice of reading and sharing a psalm a day, I could not find my copy of this book. I was sorry because I remembered the night it was passed on to me by the author's husband as we were leaving a choral gathering. We did not know one another, but he had spotted the clergy sticker on my car, and thought I might appreciate receiving it. Fortunately, it resurfaced in time for Psalm 39. In gratitude, I will copy, in its entirety, this psalm of great poignancy.     
Although some modern translations leave out the word Selah, Bracha Stone includes it. I thought the word appeared only in the psalms, but I have just learned it also appears in the book of Habakkuk. The meaning of the word is unclear. It could be a musical notation or simply an encouragement to pause and make an empty space - an invitation for God to join in.
      
  
"Oh, God, I have loved my words
But now I watch lest they betray me
I must guard what I say 
Because I am soon to die 
Yah, You have robbed me of my voice
And sealed my mouth 
Silence has struck me hard 
I must hold my peace 
But my suffering is great 
And goodness does not approach
My heart burns within me 
My meditation is consumed by the fire
And I must speak: 
  
God! Stop afflicting me!
I am finished by the blow of your hand  
You rebuke me for my foolishness 
My beauty lasted a day 
And has melted like the moth's 
I am only vapor 
Selah  
  
Yah, tell me of my end 
Is this my last day? 
I would know of my frailty
You have given me a life hardly worth the measure 
Its duration does not register on your scale 
We are all mist, established for the length of a breath
Selah 
We walk the dusty road like shadows 
And our plans are all in vain
Even when we heap up treasure 
We do not know who will enjoy it 
Now, where is my hope, O God
Except that it resides with You?  
Deliver me from my failings
Do not make me the scorn of fools 
Oh, God, listen to my prayer!
Give ear to my cry!
Do not respond to my tears with silence 
I am a newcomer to you 
As are we all - just sojourners 
Turn your sweet gaze toward me and I will find comfort 
Then you will gather me in your dark embrace 
Then I will go. I will be no more" 
  
  
Please note that there is only one period in this psalm, and it occurs in the middle of the last line.  Also, the author writes of the word, Yah: "It derives from the pronunciation of the first two letters of the unpronounceable four-letter name for God. It is spoken with an out-breath and I think of it as a spiritual sigh."





No comments:

Post a Comment