Thursday, August 24, 2017

Psalm 50

Walter Brueggemann in his book, Praying the Psalms, writes that "Our lives always move between the pit and the wing, between the shattering of disorientation and the gift of life."  I have found this to be true in my own life, and certainly in this journey through the psalms.  Today, we arrive at Psalm 50; we are now one third of our way through this journey that does indeed take us from despair to joy and back again. We are not traveling on a flat plain, but through steep valleys, over jagged mountains, across searing deserts. We learn that God is our only home, even when we stagger there exhausted and confused after doggedly taking too many wrong turns.  
 
This practice has come to mean much to me. I sense that the LORD must surely love a good struggle, but in this struggle I have found some liberation. My prayer life has deepened.  Why this has happened, I am not sure.  Perhaps in looking at various translations, and discerning what is most appropriate to include in these posts, I have simply spent more time with the psalms than I was expecting. Why I thought it would be simple saunter I do not know. 
  
Autumn is on the horizon, and that means I have a short holiday coming up as well as a retreat with longtime friends. I will then be taking on some extra work so I believe there will be some days when posting are delayed.  I am fine with that.  This journey is not a race, but rather a "sinking into" my journey with God.  I am grateful.  
  
In today's psalm we hear God saying enough with the animal sacrifices; what I want is your thanksgiving. While I do not think I know of anyone who practices animal sacrifice,  I know many of us struggle with being so busy we forget to pause and give thanks. Sometimes in our haste we even forget to love. Distraction is not an appropriate sacrifice; ultimately our love is really all we have to give. 

"I will not accept a bull from your house, 
or goats from your folds. 
For every wild animal of the forest is mine, 
the cattle on a thousand hills. 
I know all the birds of the air,
and all that moves in the field is mine.  
 
If I were hungry I would not tell you, 
for the world and all that is in it is mine.
Do I eat the flesh of bulls 
or drink the blood of goats?
Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving 
and pay your vows to the Most High. 
Call on me in the day of trouble; 
I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me."   
 
Psalm 50:8-15, NRSV  
   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment