Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Psalm 42, Part 1

Yesterday evening as I was getting into my car, I noticed the parking lot attendant tending to his prayers. We had just finished our Lectio and meditation that is held in our rented room in a first floor corner of the downtown Oakland church building.  He had laid out a prayer rug between his car and a chain link fence; I am sure it did not pad his knees.  The sky had been grey all day, and the evening was a little chilly. I wanted to invite him in, but he was on duty, in more ways than one. Regardless of our faith tradition, we pray where we are, and who we are. I think I will remember this moment for a good long while: a Muslim man kneeling and perhaps envisioning Mecca in a downtown parking lot as the light grew dim.    

"As a deer longs for flowing streams, 
so my soul longs for you, O God. 
My soul thirsts for God, 
for the living God.   
When shall I come and behold 
the face of God? 
My tears have been my food 
day and night, 
while people say to me continually, 
"Where is your God?" 
  
These things I remember, 
as I pour out my soul; 
how I went with the throng,
and led them in procession 
to the house of God, 
with glad shouts and songs of thanksgiving, 
a multitude keeping festival. 
Why are you cast down, O my soul, 
and why are you disquieted within me? 
Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, 
my help and my God." 
   
Psalm 42:1-5a, NRSV     
  
More of Psalm 42 and some notes about Book II tomorrow. 
  

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Sue Ann. Good reminder that wherever we are, God is

    ReplyDelete