Friday, August 28, 2015

Yearning for a Table

August 23 was my last Sunday with New Community of Faith.  I found serving a church in Santa Clara county more and more difficult; I simply am not part of that community.  A pastor does need to at least live close to the community he or she serves.  While 45 miles is not much of a distance on Sunday mornings, those miles are very congested most of the week, and it is not unusual to need close to two hours to travel them one way.  New Community of Faith needed more than just a Sunday preacher.   
  
 Yet, there is something that I will miss very much about serving a small church.  I really loved Sunday mornings in the kitchen.  As I baked biscuits or scones, and put the finishing touches on a soup or salad, I thought of those I was cooking for. It became a special time of prayer as I pondered the joys and the concerns of the community.  I have said more than once that my next church should be a soup kitchen.  While I might not be ready for that undertaking, I will need to find a way to fulfill that need within me.    
 
Yesterday, I sat with some residents of an assisted living community that is struggling with staff turnover and low morale.  Our conversation turned to food.  One of the residents is of Portuguese descent, and she talked about how important food is to the Portuguese community.   We laughed and made ourselves quite hungry as we talked of cioppino and steamed crabs, and community gatherings around tables laden with salads and grilled meat.    
 
As I stood up to go talk to the activity director, Betsy, who is very ill, said, "Please keep coming back. We need these conversations."  I shall indeed keep coming back. I need them as well.    
 
Yet, for now, while it is somewhat still cool, I think I shall turn some aging bananas into a banana bread. As the wonderful hymn goes, "It's me, O Lord, standing in the need of prayer."  May we all be blessed to share our prayers and food today.   
  
Let me come once again to your Table, 
Beloved,  
forgive all that separates me from You, 
that I might be made whole. 
Let me see with the heart's eye; 
let me hear through the heart's ear. 
Give me the sensitivity to hear your Word, 
and the courage to speak it. 
May my home become a house of prayer, 
that others might come to bask in your Presence. 
May those who have been oppressed and persecuted 
come and find safety and solace within its doors.  
 
 
Psalm 69
Psalms for Praying 
Nan C. Merrill  

No comments:

Post a Comment