Friday, August 21, 2015

These Times

Today, one of our long-time volunteers told me that it was time for him to retire from volunteering.  I knew this day was coming, but as the saying goes, I did not expect it today.  However, lately  I have been thinking about the volunteers with whom I am blessed to serve, so perhaps God has been preparing my heart. Perhaps. That does not take away the sorrow I feel.  But then, that is generally not what God does.  
  
When I first began serving in the ministry, I don't think I really thought too much about what it might mean to serve with volunteers over time.  I know I completely underestimated how deep the relationships could grow.  After all, some people I see only once a month. Yet, over the course of years, that is more than enough time to laugh, cry, wonder, pray, get frustrated, sing, hug, celebrate good news of all kinds, mourn, and cry all over again. I don't think I gave much thought to the fact that together we would face health challenges, spiritual challenges, and loss.  I certainly miscalculated how much I would need their laughter, their patience, and their encouragement.  And how much I could miss them, even in the first few minutes of their being gone.      
  
A young staff member came up to me after one of our services today, and just held on to me.  I put my arms around her.  She said, "Can we pray right now?"  I asked if she had a particular concern.  She quietly replied, "My life is falling apart."  So we held on to one another, and prayed.  We held on so tight, one might think we were in the midst of a hurricane.  She probably thought she was.  After the prayer, she paused for a few moments, said thank you, wiped her tears, and then set about once more gathering up the residents.  She asked if I were coming back.  I assured her that was certainly my plan.  Then one of the residents grabbed my hand and asked the same question, "Are you coming back?"  Again, I said yes.    
 
Of course, someday I will not be coming back.  However, in a ministry such as SpiritCare, the hope is that there will always be someone willing to step in and pray, hug, cry, and share all that human stuff that we need so much.  
 
And then, there is Sylvia, who today, after years (yes, years) of refusing communion, replied,"Yes, it is time."  
 
Maybe that is what ministry is really about:  showing up in this time, knowing that at times it will be confusing, and at times it will hurt, but mostly it is just about love.    
 
Just in time.  That is what God does.  

No comments:

Post a Comment