Sunday, August 2, 2015

Psalm 49

Psalms for Praying 
Nan C. Merrill   
   
Truly, I cannot save myself, 
or offer a haven of peace to another, 
When my home is like a hornet's nest, 
a hive of restless fears. 
Turning to you, O Guiding Spirit, 
is my strength and support, 
a stronghold in times of trouble.   
 
Yes, even the wise are not immune to fear; 
yet, unlike the ignorant, the wise 
face their fears with resolve. 
Not running away, not projecting them 
onto others,
They trace them to the source,  
rooting them out as weeds 
from a rose garden. 
Thus they to do not trust the riches 
of the world, 
but in the Treasure hidden in the heart.   
   
Be not afraid to discover the Treasure within, 
to seek the gold hidden  
in the garden of your heart.  
  
This lovely rose was growing by my neighbor's front steps when she moved into her home over two decades ago.  Lately, I have been thinking how nice it is to have something beautiful by our front doors.  A simple gift for those who journey.   
 
May your welcoming spirit shine today, and always. 




No comments:

Post a Comment