Wednesday, May 24, 2017

The Movable Pilgrimage

"Until we are rooted in the moving pilgrimage, until we have fully stepped through the door which begins the spiritual journey, then the universe will always seem threatening. The particular will respond as if it is going to be swamped or overwhelmed. But once we have stepped across the threshold of the survival instinct - that is the work of faith expressed in commitment and daily perseverance to the spiritual path - then the universal and the particular are no longer felt to be a threat or tension, but are united in a relationship of love."   
 
The Selfless Self, Laurence Freeman OSB     
   
Yesterday, I sat in meditation with a resident who has Parkinson's. After our meditation time, she quietly said, "I feel we are sitting in friendship."  I agreed. The time is a gift to both of us and I am going to try to schedule some additional meditation time with her. She considers herself to be Buddhist. I consider myself to be Christian. Together, we experience only love.  Yesterday, in one of my worship services in a rehab hospital, a patient told me she was Muslim. I introduced myself and welcomed her. She seemed intrigued by the service, and afterwards thanked me, and I thanked her for being with us. I have a sense that God does not get wrapped up in what we call ourselves but rather simply asks that we love one another, and this world.   
 
The beautiful plant in the picture is a native plant, the California lilac, or Ceanothus. I have read that they can be grown in a container as long as they do get too root bound.  I am going to try, as I think the only spot that gets enough sun in our garden is by the driveway so it will need to be in a pot.  I am going to need some professional advice, as I know California natives do not like a lot of water.  However, I believe this endeavor is worth trying for the sake of both our honey bees and our California native bees. Indeed, I spotted a bumblebee visiting this plant, but (as usual) my photograph turned out very poor. They are wily creatures!  
   
Let us trust our journeys for they have been started in love. Particulars may not matter quite as much as we think. 
      
  

No comments:

Post a Comment