Monday, May 29, 2017

Clearance

My morning meditation is rooted in reading, sitting meditation, some writing, and often a walk. My afternoon meditation is working in my chaotic garden. I get a little exercise and sun; I tend to living things, and in the pruning, raking, and sweeping, I believe the same might be happening in my mind and spirit.  Making room for God and life. Earlier this week, I went to a nursery to talk about the possibility of growing a ceanothus in a container. The woman who was assisting me thought it could be done.  When I asked her how much water this CA native plant should receive, she responded, "Your plant will let you know."  A frustrating answer for this uncertain gardener, but probably true. Much about gardening is about learning to see, and taking what we see to heart.   
   
"Meditation is a discipline of simplicity. Our world needs to learn it urgently. It is a discipline whereby you direct all your powers of consciousness to God. Instead of being at the mercy of your mind with its myriad thoughts and imaginations you bring your mind, your consciousness, to silence. In that silence you quite naturally become open to God and God's power. It is an utterly benevolent power which we can only describe with the word love."  
  
John Main, Word Made Flesh   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment