Saturday, May 6, 2017

Borrowed Time

When I arrived at the small skilled nursing community, I was greeted by a young woman who cheerfully introduced herself as the new activity assistant. My response was an automatic "Welcome!"  We both laughed. That response comes from years of walking into a variety of spaces with the intention of creating a welcoming space for those who join me for worship.  While I am not fond of running on automatic, at least I was moving forward in a friendly gear.
Ruth was slow to wake. Her sleep becomes deeper and she is slower to recognize me. I have known her almost ten years.  She is a no nonsense Arkansan with a deep, no nonsense trust in God. Her beloved niece is scheduled to visit at the end of the month. My sense is that the anticipation of this visit is just about all that is keeping Ruth going, and I pray that her niece will not have to change her plans.    
This close to ten year mark does feel a little different - perhaps the number makes the inevitable changes more tangible. One of the activity assistants I also have known for almost the entire time in ministry told me last week that she was retiring.  I shall miss her, and I know the residents she served most certainly will.  In a world of numbing high staff turnover, her loyalty and love are remarkable. While part of me understands that these transitions are simply a part of this life, I also must recognize my reluctance to let these beautiful souls go on without me. Yet, I,too, must journey on. We are all called ever forward into God's love. 

Sister Joan Chittister, quoting a Jewish proverb, writes in her book on the Rule of St. Benedict, "Life is only lent to us." We can and should hold on to one another, but sooner or later, we will need to surrender that love back to God, trusting that it is winging its way home.   
"A little while, and you will no longer see me, and again a little while, and you will see me."  
John 16:16   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment