Thursday, July 28, 2016

Day 6

Both our hot water heater and our dishwasher are reminding me that appliances and bank accounts have finite lives.  So do these bodies of ours.  Let us enjoy them while we can.  When I wash dishes by hand, I often think of Ometa.  Her humble kitchen was spotless.  After every meal she washed, dried, and put away the dishes, the plastic dish pan, and even the drying rack.  She made a wonderful cake called "Greek Spiced Cake." Not sure why it was called that, other than it included the heady combination of clove, nutmeg and cinnamon.  To a child growing up in West Texas, it seemed quite exotic.  I still have the recipe written in her delicate hand. The paper has yellowed, and the writing slowly fades.  Yet, as I remember her gentle loving way of being in the world, I sense eternity.  
  
I greet this day with love in my heart. 
This day I will love myself. 
As a result, I inspect all that enters 
my body, my mind, my heart. 
I resist overindulgence and cherish my body
with cleanliness and moderation. 
I uplift my mind through knowledge 
and wisdom of the ages. 
I refuse to become complacent. 
I fill myself with gratitude 
for the opportunities that come. 
I feed my spirit through meditation 
and contemplate the great mystery of life. 
My heart unfolds and embraces all of life. 
My love blesses the Earth. 
I greet this day with love in my heart.   

Rev. Carol E. Parrish-Harra  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment