Saturday, July 16, 2016

A Blessing in the Sun

When I arrived yesterday, the staff members asked if it was alright if we had our service on the patio. It was certainly a beautiful morning. The pianist was playing just inside the door, and the arrangement worked surprisingly well. I delivered my homily under a tent.  It was quite enjoyable, and I think I will add tent revivalist to my short list of credentials. 

 I said good morning to Naomi and asked if she wanted a song sheet. She replied, "What will it cost me?" She does have dementia, but she also has a dry sense of humor.  The combination sometimes makes her a little difficult for me to read. Was the question serious? I had no idea.  I laughed said, "Just your love." I immediately worried that the response might have been confusing.  She paused, looked at me intently, and said, "You know you always have that, don't you? You are loved here."  She then stretched out one hand and asked, "Do you want one hand or two?" I responded that I definitely wanted two. We reached out to one another and hugged. In the years that we have known each other, we have greeted one another warmly, but I think that is the first time we have ever hugged.  
   
A few days ago, I came across a large bush of yellow four 'o clocks. Because the bush was in fairly deep shade, I did not try to take a photograph, but I did take a few moments to enjoy the beauty before walking on. For some reason, I turned for one more look. I then saw this one blossom shining in the sun.   

   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment