Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Room for a View

Yesterday was a short day on the peninsula for me.  The trip over was crowded with the usual densely packed cars and trucks, but much less so on the way back.  As I traveled north on 280 and then turned to head east on 92, I found myself pondering a beautiful blue sky and various clouds in shades of white and grey. At one point, I could briefly take in the sight of the turquoise blue bay, and I could see as far as the Bay Bridge. Despite the presence of high clouds, the air seemed crystal clear. I could not help but give thanks for the expanse of the bay and that elegant sparkling white bridge that truly seems to be to have been created with a fine sense of beauty and design. 
Such moments of contentment are becoming rarer as I drive. The traffic is just to heavy to allow such savoring and it seems the entire bay area is under construction.  Yet, even brief moments of gratitude can carry us a long way. As I drove across San Mateo Bridge, I reflected on the service in the memory care home that morning. I am always touched by the generosity of the volunteers who join me there, and I also appreciate Margie's exuberance when we arrive. I think she does have a sense that we come in friendship, and her frequent invitations to go to lunch and "hang out" tells me that before her illness she enjoyed spending time with friends. While I do not know that for certain, I can tell you that more than once she has concluded our prayer time with not just an amen, but an enthusiastic  "Amen, Babe!"  Yesterday, as I handed her a song sheet, she announced confidently, "I will help you sing!" There is much truth in that.  All of those I serve and serve with do keep me singing and I am grateful.  This morning I woke with the thought that really what God wants of us is to simply take care of things and one another. This can happen in the creation of visionary large scale works, but also in the small moments of appreciation and connection. In other words, we are all capable of taking part.    
  
May you have moments of deep connection and appreciation today and always. Look around when you can. We can tend to God's good creation, but first we do need to notice it.  
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment