Monday, September 11, 2017

Revisiting

I am re-posting an email I originally sent in May, 2015.  I cannot remember the source, and I still know very little about this prayer which is claimed to be a 16th century prayer. However, a search this morning revealed that the prayer is included in a book of prayers entitled "A Little Book of Healing Prayers" by Angela Ashwin.  The prayer resurfaced for me this morning as I was cleaning out my traveling Bible. The prayer is definitely worth rereading more often than every two years.     

*****

The email I received today said the prayer below is a 16th century prayer entitled "The Frankfurt Prayer."  I  have never heard of it, and a quick search did not turn up anything. Nonetheless, this is a beautiful reminder that even with our prayers, our songs, our fellowship, and our proclamations, faith is ultimately a silent leap.   

Savior, teach me the silence of humility, the silence of wisdom,
 the silence of love, the silence of perfection, the silence
 that speaks without words, the silence of faith.

Lord, teach me to silence my own heart
that I may listen to the gentle movement of the Holy Spirit within me
and sense the depths which are of God.    


No comments:

Post a Comment