Sunday, September 10, 2017

Psalm 58

One of the gifts of being in a ministry that reaches out to those in long term care is that it has given me the courage to sing regardless of wherever I am called to be. That is the joy of having an ordinary voice; I do not need to go off in search of a symphony hall.  So wherever I am, I sing with others, even when their voices cannot be heard. Together, even when they appear to be silent, we sing a song of God's love, and learn to trust that it is for us.  A friend of mine, who was a wonderful support in the ministry, once said that she hoped that if she was ever too ill to sing that someone would come and sing some hymns. Although she has passed, I still hear her lovely alto voice, adding richness and substance; living proof that harmony can exist. I still hear her daughters singing to her, and I am grateful.       
Psalm 58 is a song that lashes out against tyranny.  Certainly much injustice exists in our nation and our world, and we must continue to speak to that.  However, today, let us sing for those who are facing fear and devastation.  May our messages of love be heard on the wind.   
  
"Then all the broken ones who carried such heavy burdens on their backs, 
will finally cry, 'Yes, there is a God who governs us and earth with deep integrity. Here at last is fair reward for an honest life and justice done." 
   
Psalm 58:11
Ancient Songs Sung Anew, Lynn C. Bauman    
  

No comments:

Post a Comment