Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Psalm 55

If you are feeling that all is right in the world, Psalm 55 may not speak to you.  This psalm speaks of evil; not just the evil ever presence in the world, but the betrayal of someone close.  "Had it only been an enemy who was vexing me, I could have borne this heavy burden, Lord, but it was not, it was a friend, another 'self' of mine, a neighbor dear. And we had known such fellowship, as we walked together on your path, my God."   
As I sat with this psalm last night, images of those I am blessed to call friend came to mind. I was grateful for their company, and the chance to say a short prayer for each.  I thought of those I serve, and I am grateful that to try to walk the path of Christ means I must try as best I can to show up as a friend. I am a slightly better person for this long spiritual practice.    
If you are carrying a sense of betrayal, sit with Psalm 55, and know you are not alone.  Humans are fallible, but God is not. If you do not have this heavy burden today, give thanks for the gift of love. Please share that love as you move among those you do not know, but who, like all of us, hunger for the gift of friendship, even in the most fleeting interactions of our lives.     
"How often have I cried out, O that I had wings, my God, 
then like a dove would I fly and 
flee this darkness to find some place of rest. 
There I would seek a far off hiding place, 
and live concealed in earth's emptiness. 
Like wind I'd blow quickly from the center of this storm
to the outer edges of your quietness."  
Psalm 55:7-9
Ancient Songs Sung Anew, Lynn C. Bauman  
    
  

No comments:

Post a Comment