Friday, September 15, 2017

Psalm 59

The opening verse in Lynn C. Bauman's translation of  Psalm 59 is poignant: "This is a warrior's song sung to God, a holy warrior bowed in prayer."   I have been reluctant to ponder this psalm, claiming I am busy. It is true; I am busy, and I have been wondering if taking the psalms in order is really the way to go. However, this morning's news reminds me yet again that there is violence and evil in this world, and the psalms gives me a way of acknowledging that, and surrendering, not to denial or fear, but to God. The option for fight or flight has always been with us, and both are appropriate at various times. Yet, we do have a third way available to us that we continually underuse: praying our way to belief once more.     
   
"Yes, evil runs about like a pack of dogs through city streets, 
they scavenge, ravening through the night. 
Not satisfied and roaring always to be fed 
they devour us all. 
But in counterpoint, I sing this song 
and celebrate your love by mourning's light. 
For you have been our potency and might, 
our safety in these troubled times. 
To you, yes, you my gracious God, I sing, 
Your mercy and compassion fill my song
and I shall never cease my praise, forever, 
hallelujah."    
  
Psalm 59:16-20, Ancient Songs Sung Anew 
Lynn C. Bauman 
    
   

No comments:

Post a Comment