Sunday, September 24, 2017

Psalm 61

This morning I found myself yearning to return to the psalms.  I looked at a couple of on-line dictionaries about "fear of God."  The phrase is generally described as archaic - to regard God with reverence and awe.  Sometimes our words, as well as the adherence to our vows, do fall short.  Yet, day by day we continue the journey with and to God. I am so grateful to tend to this archaic practice of reading and singing the psalms and pondering their meaning.     
Resting in the shelter of God's mighty wings is a beautiful image - especially when coupled with the image of standing on a rock so high that we cannot get there without God's help.  
May you feel God's sheltering presence today, and always.    
   
"Listen, O God to my cry. 
Attend to my prayer. 
From the end of the earth I call you, 
my heart is faint. 
  
Set me high upon the rock 
too high for me to reach, 
you, my refuge and mighty tower 
against the foe.
  
Then will I dwell in your tent forever, 
and hide in the shelter of your wings. 
For you, O God, have heard my vows; 
you have have given me the heritage 
of those who fear your name. 
  
So I will sing to your name forever, 
and day after day fulfill my vows."   
Psalm 61:2-6,9
The Ecumenical Grail Psalter  


No comments:

Post a Comment