Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Staying the Course

This morning while leading worship in a small skilled nursing community, I found myself reflecting on the need to stay the course. That is, in our living and our dying, if we are committed as best we can be to living a life of love and service, we need to stay the course.  Yes, even when confronted with terrible sorrow, prejudice, fear, and confusion, we need to continue to try to be present in love.  

I expected to continue this thread of thought in the second community I was scheduled to visit because we always have lively conversations there, but the home was closed due to a virus. I came home and finished this piece. Yes, it is a little crooked, but my disclaimer is that this is folk art. I have been working with it for a few days, and almost threw it out a couple of times, but when I came home with this message in mind, it came together fairly quickly.   
 
I am grateful for the reminder that Jesus promised his disciples a peace that was not the peace the world promises. That message does indeed give me the courage to embrace crooked paintings.  Do not be concerned; I shall not attempt house building anytime soon.  
 
Let us stay the course in love.    
 
  
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid.  
John 14:27    
   
"Staying the Course" with pastels, pencils, and collage  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment