Saturday, June 25, 2016

Kindred Spirits

This week I spent a few days at a spiritual direction intensive at Villa Maria del Mar in Santa Cruz. This lovely retreat center is run by the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary. I do not have a private spiritual direction practice, nor do I expect to have one. However, I am having more in depth conversations in my ministry with those in long-term care communities, and it seemed time to re-hone some of my skills learned in the DASD program at San Francisco Seminary. Graciously, I was taken in.  
 
I was surprised to find myself the lone Protestant among several Catholic men and women. Yet, as we sank deeper into our time together, I came to appreciate their spirituality, gentleness, and presence. I so appreciated attending mass, and hearing the reading of Luke 12:32-34.  I often hear the words at the end of the passage, "Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also," and I love those words.  Yet, what I heard in this service, really for the first time, was the beginning of the passage: Jesus calling those he loved, "little flock." I felt gathered in and held close. In that moment, I knew only trust. 
 
Catholic and Protestant traditions differ certainly. Yet, what we discovered was the common ground of those trying to be faithful to God, to the teachings, and to this good creation.  Affection and friendship surfaced, as did tears when it came time to say good-bye. As l look back, it is with gratitude, and with a question. Why can this coming together not happen across the world?    
   
The images I share seem to express something of my understanding of spiritual direction: the bee that looks to be such an integral part of the flower (it is), and her cleaning her antennae as she prepares to move on.  We are all connected.  Let us tend to our antennae, and learn to listen to one another. We will be hearing ourselves.  More importantly, we will be hearing God. There is where our treasure lies.  




No comments:

Post a Comment