Wednesday, June 1, 2016

A Beautiful View

Please understand that I understand this is not a great photograph.  It is the result of my already having put on my evening pajamas but still needing to go out to my front yard for some fresh thyme for the green bean salad. As I returned to the front door, I glanced at our beloved birch tree, and saw this beautiful butterfly. I rushed inside and grabbed my camera that also makes phone calls, and because the butterfly was not at eye level, I also grabbed the step ladder.  So, there I am, a woman in her 60s, in her pajamas, on a step ladder, aiming her eye phone (ok, that description just happened, but I like it; you will see it again.) at a tree.  And still, despite the chaos as I fiddled and balanced, the butterfly continued to sit there in the evening sun. 
No, I could not take a beautiful photograph of this beautiful creature.  However, every time I can take a picture of a bee, a butterfly, or some other insect, I am filled with hope.  Hope, that even here in the bay area where it seems every inch of land is under construction, I continue to see front yards turned into gardens where flowers, fruits, vegetables, insects, and birds can flourish. That is the beautiful view.  
I believe this butterfly is a Two-tailed Swallowtail, but could be a Western Tiger Swallowtail.  As you all know, I am not the best at identification. Everything just seems to fall into the category of beautiful as I fiddle, balance, and fall in love. 


No comments:

Post a Comment