Saturday, April 6, 2019

Discussion in the Retirement Home on the Letter To the Romans

A small group that I meet with monthly told me last month they wanted us to study one whole book of the New Testament.  I suggested Paul's Letter to the Romans.  Chapter 1 is a bit rough going.   

St. Paul:  "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and wickedness of those who by their wickedness suppress the truth (Romans 1:18) .  
SA:  Well, now, do you believe God is wrathful?
Resident 1 :  No, God is love. 
Resident 2:  Yes, He is wrathful.  But He is not wrathful to those He loves.   
SA:              hmmm... Can you give us an example of what you believe to be      God's wrath?   
Resident 2:  hmmm... Well, no, but I am sure there is one.  
Resident 3:  (who finally had his hearing aides repaired, blessed be) That Paul sure says some surprising things.  
   
I am still smiling. I think we are off to a pretty good start!  
    
   

No comments:

Post a Comment