Saturday, April 6, 2019

A Confession

An old voice surfaced.
The voice that whispers, 
"I wish you were more beautiful." 
This voice has grown kinder, 
a little less frequent
and maybe even quieter, 
but it still exists 
in the archives, 
seemingly intent 
 on embarrassing me.      
  
This week I decided 
"That's it.  No more flowers.
I have nothing more to say;
I have photographed flowers 
(although it really is not 
flowers I am seeing  
but more on that later) 
for years."  
  
Yet, the beloved dog and I 
started out today  
and made it not quite  
a block and then 
I remembered the wisteria.  
"Well, maybe one photograph."
The first steps of a beauty 
filled walk.     
 
I then remembered 
a dinner last week 
with friends; 
we discussed 
beauty but could not define it.
We laughed deeply at our  
non-conclusion conclusion. 
 I was reminded  
how much I love those gathered at the table. 
  
So perhaps this old voice 
that does grow gentler 
over time 
encourages me to remember 
that where beauty reveals 
her showy head,
 love is there, 
and that maybe, 
like God and Jesus and Mary, 
 I can claim her as my own.  
      
 
say 
April 2019   

  

No comments:

Post a Comment