Thursday, December 8, 2016

Translations

A friend of mine recently recommended the book, Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder.  It is the story of Dr. Paul Farmer (born 1959)  and his work to bring some semblance of health care to Haiti, a country wrecked by poverty and greed (alas, those two always seem to go hand in hand). I have not finished reading it, but so far it is a compelling, thoughtful read that I recommend as well. However, please know there will be times when you will squirm. There will be times when you will mourn.  Why wouldn't we? In too much of our world, including this nation of ours, people live in dire poverty.  Yet, above all, the story is inspiring. 
On page 79, there is a paragraph that continues to stay with me. I am grateful for Farmer's interpretation. I am not sure I could have figured it out on my own.      
"How could a just God permit great misery? The Haitian peasants answered with a proverb: "Bondye konn bay, men li pa konn separe," in literal translation, "God gives but does not share." This meant, as Farmer would later explain it, "God gives us humans everything we need to flourish, but he's not the one who's supposed to divvy up the loot. That charge was laid upon us."   
  
Yesterday, as I was going through a door of a skilled nursing community while trying to balance my communion bag, song sheets, and some lap quilts, I caught my hand in the door.  Nothing serious, but it did smart.  The elders I serve in this home are very frail. Three of them, at separate times throughout my time with them, took that same hand and kissed it (one must get used to that when serving the old old). I had said nothing about my tangle at the door. 
It is Advent and Christ stirs in the depths of our being.  May we let that love be born anew. There is still much to do. Fortunately, God wishes us well.  


No comments:

Post a Comment