Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Sightings

On Sunday two of our neighbors hosted a party. I was not able to attend, but I did stop by to add my contributions to the donations they were collecting for a local agency. Because there was no parking close-by, I pulled into their short driveway. When I returned to my car minutes later, there were quite a few young children in the small front yard and driveway. Their presence, while charming, did make me nervous. I needed to back out of the driveway and I knew my vision would be limited. Fortunately, a young father was also there. He gathered the children to him, and then gave me the thumbs up to let me know the way was clear. I was grateful.  

The image of God the Father is not one that generally comes up for me, but that moment was an exception. I was struck by the beauty and care of the father calling the children to him. He and I both needed the care of one another to ensure the safety of the young ones who were enjoying an afternoon of fun.   
In this time of post-election unease, I am hearing many accusations, but more importantly, I am witnessing people reaching out to one another. Conversations are deepening. We humans sometimes need the catalyst of unease and discomfort, and yes, sorrow, to help us to become aware of the preciousness of this life together. The answers to our prayers are often revealed through relationships. In those moments of being called together, the Christ light enters in, and the way is known once more in love.   
       
   
I trusted you, Lord, and waited, 
and you came to answer my plea. 
You lifted me from the pit, 
you pulled me out of the mire, 
you set my feet on firm ground,
you made my steps unshakable. 
You put a new song in my mouth
and gave me the power to praise you. 
You opened me to the truth; 
suddenly my eyes could see it. 
And I knew you don't care about rituals
or the mummeries of religion.
The only thing you want 
is our whole being, at every moment.   
Hold me in your embrace, Lord: 
make me transparent in your light. 
Grant me awareness; 
keep my gratitude fresh each day.
Let my song give blessing and insight 
to those who can't see for themselves. 
And let your compassion always 
shine forth from the depths of my heart.
  
Psalm 40
A Book of Psalms 
Stephen Mitchell 



No comments:

Post a Comment