Sunday, December 4, 2016

In the Presence

The question, "How is your friend?" startled me. For one thing, I was engrossed in Annie Dillard's story, "In the Jungle" and at that moment I was sitting on the bank of the Napo River in Ecuador. It took a moment or two to return to the restaurant, my tea, and the presence of this particular waiter (This is why I cannot listen to fiction while I drive. My reflexes slow and I forget where I am. This book is not fiction, but the language has that same rich and transporting quality.) I looked up and now was even more surprised. This generally surly young waiter actually seemed to want to talk.  I know I must have had a quizzical look on my face, because he then asked, "Don't you usually come with a friend?" I explained that yes, I do sometimes get to have lunch with a friend, but not in this particular restaurant. He then went on to complain about how slow it was that day. I offered the idea that people might be out shopping. I smiled and said, "Perhaps someone is buying you a present!" That notion seemed to please him as he walked on, large tea pot in hand. I heard him ask the next table, "How is your friend?"  
​  
I had never read any of Annie Dillard's books, so when Teaching a Stone To Talk, Expeditions and Encounters surfaced, I took it.  I think Ms. Dillard would laugh if she saw me try to read this particular copy. It is falling apart, so I am often trying catch sections before they fall to the floor.  Yet, despite its decrepit condition, it is an engaging read, and I recommend the investment of a few more dollars to get a decent copy that holds together.      
 
Recently, one of God's old old was in worship with me. She reached out her hand for mine. While her hand was certainly flesh, her essence seemed to be only of light and a magnificent toothless smile. I felt the presence of Christ so strongly that I felt I should kneel and ask for a blessing. Of course, the blessing had already been given. It is written that God told Moses that he could not look upon God's face and live. I believe this to be true. God cannot be reduced to something we can comprehend. So, we have been given the gift of Christ. We can see glimpses of Christ in those who are suffering, and also in those who are dissolving into love. I am grateful for these sightings and encouragements on my pilgrimage.  I am reminded of the prayer, "For this, I have Jesus." 
  
The question, "How is your friend?" may be an old waiter's trick (I think I have been asked this question before), but it is a good question to ponder. While we may not always be able to say, "Oh, my friend is just fine; thank you!" it does open a moment for a short prayer for those we hold in our hearts. Much of life is about coming together and falling apart, so it is well to keep our friends in mind as we continue our journeys. 
   
   
The Napo River: it is not out of the way. It is in the way, catching sunlight the way a cup catches poured water; it is a bowl of sweet air, a basin of greenness, and of grace, and it would seem, of peace.  
 
Annie Dillard 
   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment